Saturday, February 11, 2006

the new generation...

Kids never cease to amaze me. The way they act, talk, look at matters, the way they imitate grownups is really astonishing!

The scene I witnessed today was a miniature of what happened in Al Ashrafeyeh a few days ago. The same scenario, same words, same actions, but this time the demonstrators were only kids.

A bunch of kids who were waiting in the street for buses to carry them home and who seem to be very moved with what they were watching on TV during the past few days, decided to express their feelings in their own way.

The target was a deserted house, which was supposed to resemble the Danish embassy. The kids were to attack the embassy (the deserted house) trying to break into it, throwing stones at the windows, and shouting: la elaha ella allah, mo7ammad rasool allah. A few others were carrying sticks with which they were slightly hitting a few cars.

I really really couldn’t believe my eyes, the scene was so depressing, I stood there speechless, trying to figure out what on earth was going on, and how can kids be so affected and influenced by what they see.

At that moment, I couldn’t but call to mind the novel Lord of the Flies (The book describes in detail the horrific exploits of a band of young children who make a striking transition from civilized to barbaric. Lord of the Flies commands a pessimistic outlook that seems to show that man is inherently tied to society, and without it, we would likely return to savagery.)

I also remembered a quote I once came across and I think is very true: The hardest job kids face today is learning good manners without seeing any!
Peace..

No comments: